Monday, May 30, 2011

5.30.11

WOD:
For time: 9-7-5 reps of:
Muscle-Ups
135 lb. Squat Snatch

I did:
Assisted Pull-up followed by Assisted Dip (1 each  = 1 muscle-up--at least in my mind).
The first set two sets I used 69.5 lbs. of assistance, and 61 lbs. on the last set.

Still learning the squat snatches. Warmed-up trying a couple with just the empty 45 lb. bar, then did the first nine with 95 lbs. (25 on each end). Those weren't really squat snatches and turned into more of a  clean and press, so I used only 75 lbs. (15 on each end) and did fair approximation of a squat snatch although it was really only about a 1/4-squat because I'm having trouble getting down into the full squat on this lift. On the last set I increased to 85 lbs. and again was doing more of a snatch to above head and then pressing the rest of the way up. So on the last 2 reps I went back to lower weight just to finish with good (or somewhat "better") form.

I am so sore and stiff. Left hip is catching a little bit, probably from the 25" box jumps yesterday. Getting in and out of low chairs is difficult because of the stiffness in my knees and hips, glutes, and low back. Hopefully, as I gain strength, this will get better. I see now how out of balance muscles got by doing all the long running and, although I stretched a lot, how the running tends to decrease flexibility with such a small range of motion.

The experiment continues. At least now I can try some of the CrossFit exercises at the gym and not be too self-conscious about how I look. Maybe as I learn the exercises and can do them more smoothly, I'll be less self-conscious. But a day with a work out is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment