Thursday, July 7, 2011

7.7.11

Yesterday: Ended up doing a mile jog warm-up, then 2 miles of 2 minute-intervals running/walking. By the last mile (4 total) I could only jog 1 minute/walk 1 minute because of the heat/humidity 88/74. But got a good hard work out in. 

In the evening, Andrew and I cancelled our overnight camping at Indian Caves State Park because of expected thunderstorms during the night. Instead, we went to Schramm Park State Recreation Area and cooked supper, walked the trails in the near dark/dark, and called it a night. Home before the thunder and lightning. He really liked the food. I butterflied and grilled a marinated chicken (canola oil, garlic, lemon zest, thyme, salt so it was really pretty healthy without the skin), and stir fried sugar snap peas with slivered almonds, made with olive oil. I was happy to have something delicious, simple, healthy rather than the ribeye steak and potato originally considered.

Today:
Wod: 5 rounds for time:
155 lb. Deadlifts, 15 reps (I used 135 lbs)
155 lb. Hang Power Clean, 9 reps (I used 95 lbs.)
155 lb. Push Jerks, 6 reps (I used 95 lbs.)
-- OK, so I didn't use a ton of weights. however, I felt like this was a good weight to be able to maintain pretty good form, did not feel like I was risking my back (as when I used 185 on the deadlifts), and still got a great workout. My heart was pounding and my lungs burning. The deadlifts had to be broken down to 8-7 because I just could breathe. In fact, on the last set I did 11-4, and after the 11 I was quite dizzy, heart pounding, and being alone at the gym I figured it was foolish to try to go any harder than that. I had to take 1-2 minutes breaks between exercises, so the entire work out took about 35 minutes. So this takes less time than a running work out, strengthens and adds flexibility to my entire body, gives my cardio and respiratory a hard workout. That's pretty good. 

Tomorrow will either be an off day, or an easy jog. I've done three days in a row, and although I want to keep going daily, I must always be careful to give me self some recovery/rest days. On those days I should always incorporate catching up on fluids and lots of stretching/flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment